Sunday, September 30, 2012

Master Plan in the Works

9/30/2012 (post by Emily Walz) - “Karibu!” We were greeted with a warm welcome from the Kambi Primary School community. It was great to be back and, like always, felt like a joyous reunion of friends and family. One of the students hugged me with such energy I was nearly knocked over; her smile took over the entirety of her face and I was reminded, yet again, of the value of this project and the gratitude for it from the Kambi community.
  Strategic planning...what will Kambi look like in 10 yrs?



I’ve had the privilege of seeing the Kambi Primary School renovation project at each stage of its progress and getting to know the students, faculty, and families. I recently visited Kambi in August 2012 with a small group of MN teachers with the intent of finalizing the plans for the rest of the renovation project and building a collaborative partnership between Kambi and MN teachers. We drank tea and had a meeting with the school board members and the headmaster; the drawings for the project were laid out and we discussed how best to design the school to meet the needs of the students and community.

Mwalimu Gladys discussing the plans.
The headmaster, Gladys, is a very impressive woman who has done wonders for the students of Kambi. The students’ love and respect for her is obvious as well as her care for each one of them. As a teacher, I am continually awestruck with this school and what they accomplish with so few resources. When I find myself wishing for better books, resources, or technology in my own classroom I am reminded of the academic rigor and dedication to education I have witnessed in the Kambi students and staff who have far less. Through their dedication and the improved learning environment made possible in the completed stage of the renovation project, the Kambi students progressed yet again and recently achieved the highest test scores in their district!




1 comment:

  1. Please continue donating to the Kambi School, these people are the best people I have met. They are so determined to give their community the best school possible for their children. We need to step up and help their dream come true. Donate to the Kambi School-100% of your money will help educate the youth of this community .

    ReplyDelete